Tuesday 18 November 2008

Jess has too many books to read

One of the downsides of working in a library (or upsides depending on how you look at it) is that I'm always seeing books I want to read. Too many books. So many books that I'll probably never get around to reading all of them unless I break a leg and am subjected to prolonged bedrest for a couple of months. Sigh... Oh well.

Today I found 5 to add to my never-ending list. In no particular order they are:

The Lucy Family Alphabet - Australian comedian Judith Lucy's autobiographical account of her crazy family
The Magician - book 2 in The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flammel series by Michael Scott (book 1 was not bad)
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - Jean-Dominique Bauby. No, I haven't seen the movie - but the book's drawn me in just by skimming the first 3 pages.
The Uncommon Reader - Alan Bennett. The title, and then the blurb, caught my eye a few months ago. But it's been out consorting with other readers until it passed across my desk today on it's way back from Subi.
The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman. I've always felt I should be more of a Neil Gaiman fan as he's almost got cult status with some of my friends. Thus far I've been a bit ambivalent - I liked Stardust, but those of his graphic novels I've seen have failed to enthall me. This one - highly recommended by the bookseller to our children's librarian, with a first paragraph that grabbed attention, maybe this will be one to change my mind.

These will, at some point, join the numerous other library items I'm hoarding at home... sixteen at last count.

1 comment:

  1. I have 4 words that will no doubt add to your indecision as to what next to read;

    New Terry Pratchett novel.

    ReplyDelete