Sunday 22 June 2008

Thoughts

Today I am tired. I don't know what to write. Going to the fruit and veg markets in Subi has worn me out. They were so busy - even more packed full of people than they are normally. It was really quite stressful. Last night was good. I went out for dinner with friends who I hadn't seen for a while. I haven't laughed so hard in ages. It was good for me. I needed that.

I have been a bit up and down recently. More down than up, unfortunately. Yesterday went towards addressing that imbalance but only a bit. I worked on my day off (wed) this week. That wasn't such a good idea. I would have benefited more from having the day off.

My original plan in coming in to use the internet, was to write about this book I read over the past few days. The book's called The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman. Basically it starts by saying that different people have different ways of feeling/showing love and then it discusses these 5 "love languages" as he calls them. Everyone has one main love language which is the key to feeling that other people care about them. If their need for emotional love is not being met through their love language then it doesn't matter what else others do, they still won't feel loved. It's like giving someone a bunch of flowers, when all they want is a hug (or some help around the house, or...).

These are: (I'll use his labels for them)
1. Words of Affirmation (telling them you appreciate them, any positive comments)
2. Quality Time (doing things with them, quality conversation - ie listening)
3. Receiving Gifts (self evident, surely)
4. Acts of Service (doing things for them, helping them with stuff)
5. Physical Touch (also self-evident - hugs etc)

In this book he approaches it from a marriage counselling point of view, but I think it has much much wider applications than that. So many things in my life suddenly made a whole lot more sense. Reading the chapter about my love language (quality time) on Friday night actually upset me a lot because I realised how badly I wasn't getting what I need. But awareness is at least the first step.

I don't think I am doing a very good job of explaining the concepts but I assure you it was excellent - go read it! I found so many things fell into place as I read it.

I'd love to write more and edit this post so it's better written, but they're kicking me out so I gtg.
Au revoir.

No comments:

Post a Comment