Wednesday 4 June 2008

Keeping busy

I haven't written a blog post for ages. I've just been busy doing stuff, really. So I thought I'd put down a brief summary of the past few weeks. I really should go home and cook something for dinner but if I don't write something now, who knows when I'll get round to it.

____


Over the long weekend Brightbear* and I drove up to Kalgoorlie to visit Thia*. This is really quite a long drive. (Well... by my standards at least which typically involve stopping for break at least once on the way down to Busselton). Despite that it was good and I enjoyed the time spent up there.

*If you don't know who these nicknames refer to, you probably don't need to know. BB & T if you want me to remove the link, just let me know.

Thia cooked us lots of yummy food (stuff that I could eat too without feeling bleh - bonus!), and introduced us to the joys of two word games called Bananagrams and Bookworm Adventures. Racing Demons (like competitive solitaire) was also played, of course. I really enjoyed this, as recently I'd been thinking that I miss playing cards and board games.

We were entertained by dvds (Enchanted) and Thia jamming on the cello we brought her. "Name a song. Any song..." got Waltzing Matilda, Away in the Manger and the Lord of the Rings theme, among others.

Meeting crazy entertaining teachers was cool. Overly loud dance music at Kalgoorlie pub not so cool and reminded me why I don't like 'going out' in the usual sense of the phrase. There's essentially two reasons: 1) generally I don't really like dance/techno music. Give me oldies (70s/80s/90s) music to dance to any day. 2) when the music's too loud it really grates on me after a while. I don't know if I'm just more sensitive to noise than most people or what, but I prefer my music at a volume that you can still have a conversation with the person next to you if you raise your voice a bit. I know, I know, I'm a bit of an old grandma in this regard.

So if anyone wonders why I prefer to stay home or going to Gilks rather than going out dancing/clubbing with you, that's why. It's not because I don't like you or (non-ballroom) dancing. Really :-/

Right now back to the weekend. All in all it was a really good weekend. Next time though (assuming there is a next time), I'd like to have more time off work to do it in. Only having three days off meant we spent a significant part of two of those days driving. But it was worth it nonetheless.

_____


The weekend before last I went to the Circus. Silver's Grand Magic Circus, to be precise. Having been to both Cirque du Soleil and Circus Oz in the past two years, I wasn't expecting that great things of Silver's but they were way better than I thought they'd be. They've moved their big top down to Rockingham now, and I'd recommend them.

gtg I'll finish later.

1 comment:

  1. *waves a hand* Link away. Anything I don't want up for public consumption gets locked, anyway. And it's nice to know I'm worth the drive *g*

    Yeah, loud music... I've actually been thinking about swiping some ear plugs from work, but I always forget about it. And now you guys know why the teachers are my entertainment.

    ReplyDelete