Wednesday 21 May 2008

Books, books, books...

One of the great things about working in a library is that you come across so many books that otherwise you probably wouldn't have discovered even existed. I've borrowed 13 books in the past 2.5 weeks I've been working there, and that's being quite restrained really.

One of my jobs at work is making little booklets of all the new books we've had come in over the past month. This month we had over 400! Although strictly speaking they're not all new releases - a reasonable proportion of them are donations from readers, and some will be are second copies of ones we've already got. But still, that's a lot of books.

I also box up unwanted donations to take down to Save the Children Fund who then recycle them through their massive book sales. Most of the books that fall into this category... well... let's just say it's clear why they are unwanted. But every now and then I turn up something cool in the piles of books and next thing I know I'm taking home half dozen or so books for which I paid $1 each. Technically I didn't have to pay anything for them, as they're being given away, but I felt I should, taking so many.

Another job I do is process local stock, which basically means getting the local stock books (books that don't come from the state library - ie reader donations or ones bought with the local councils' money) ready so that they can go on the shelves. Spine labels, date labels etc... I'm getting lots of practice at book covering. Of course if it's an interesting looking book, it's necessary to look the book over a bit while you're doing so - read the blurb and so on. *grin*

I was going to list and review some of the books I've borrowed recently, but I'm out of time so it'll have to be later.

No comments:

Post a Comment