Saturday 17 May 2008

A trip to the tip

I am so tired. It's been a long day, and it certainly doesn't help that I've been burning the candle at both ends recently. I need to develop a good habit of going to bed early rather than staying up until I can't keep my eyes open any longer. But I always say that and never do...

Today, as part of the Earth Carers Training course, I went on a trip to the tip. Or to put it more eloquently, we did a tour of the Tamala Park landfill site and the Balcatta recycling station. Then we had lunch at the Stirling Civic Gardens, which is a rehabilitated landfill site. Not that I would have known, if they hadn't told us.

This was a rather more enjoyable experience than I expected. The stuff we learned at each site was both useful and interesting if a bit sobering at times. I will certainly be thinking twice not only before throwing anything in the bin, but also before buying things. Reduce, reuse, recycle.

I think part of what makes this Earth Carers experience great, is hanging out with a group of like-minded people. Everyone else is also concerned about the current state of the planet, but not just that, they are proactive in doing something about it. It's great to be able to discuss and brainstorm ideas about everything from council recycling systems to community gardens, to biodegrable plastic bags, and green power.

______________


This month, May, is Mobile Muster month with the slogan "old phones, more trees". From the 2nd May to the 5th June for every mobile recycled through the mobile muster campaign, Landcare Australia will plant a native tree. So if you've got an old mobile laying around don't sent to landfill, drop it off at an official drop off point and congratulate yourself on planting a tree for the environment without having to do any of the hard work. Click here and enter your post code to find your nearest drop off point or go down to Australia Post and pick up a free recycling satchel.

_____________


At the first training session we had (on tuesday night) they showed us a video called "The Story of Stuff'". This is a brilliant little animated movie that takes a look at the dark underside of our production and consumption patterns. It was really good - informative while still being entertaining - and I encourage everyone to watch it. In fact, no, I don't just encourage you to watch it, instead I'd like to ask you on behalf of everyone who wants to create a more sustainable future, please take 20mins to watch this short film and recommend it to your friends.

You can download it for free at:
www.storyofstuff.com

It's a simple little thing, and you may think that they're over-simplifying the issues or that you already know this stuff, but watch it anyway. If nothing else, I'm sure you'll find parts of it entertaining. I've drawn the following comments off the website because I agree with them:
The Story of Stuff exposes the connections between a huge number of environmental and social issues, and calls us together to create a more sustainable world. It'll teach you something, it'll make you laugh, and it just may change the way you look at all the stuff in your life forever.

____________


After we got back from the tour of the tip, I discovered that our meeting point for the bus trip was right next to West Leederville community garden. Naturally a number of my fellow "tourists" were involved with the community garden so I went in to have a bit of a look around. It seemed pretty cool so I'm thinking about getting involved.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there, the seed for Normative was planted when two friends,
    the mathematics student Kristian Rönn,
    and the urban planner Robin Undall-Behrend,
    decided that they wanted to dedicate their career on doing the most good.

    ReplyDelete