Sunday 16 March 2008

Bit and pieces from the past few days.

My birthday picnic at the beach yesterday went well. Good food, good company, perfect weather, interesting sculptures (and random ones too). Thank you to everyone who came, it was great having you there. Recipe for the Roasted Vege Salad I made:

1. Roast some veges
(potato, sweet potato, pumpkin, beetroot, cut into bitesize pieces, toss with extra virgin olive oil, crushed garlic, S+P, rosemary and thyme, then roast in oven ~200C until done)
2. Let them cool
3. In a bowl put baby spinach leaves, the roasted veges, and dress with a honey mustard salad dressing
(extra virgin olive oil, fresh lemon juice, S+P, honey, wholegrain mustard)
4. Can serve immediately, but it's better if it's left for a little while before serving.

_____________________________________________

Sculpture by the Sea Cottesloe 2008

My favourite sculpture was "fossil" by Julia Adzuki and Mark Szulgit. From a distance it looked a bit like a clear glass pillar with some cloudy bits inside it. When you got up close you could see that some of the cloudy bits were spiky little spheres, and others were long and thread-like. The whole thing was actually in 6 vertical layers yet the objects inside continued from one layer to the next almost seamlessly. It was fascinating and I'd love to know how they create it.

Despite looking around at length on the internet, I haven't been able to find a photo of it except on someone's flicker account here. But it was also at last year's Bondi exhibition so I probably have some photos on Mum's computer which I'll put up when I go down to her place over Easter.
There wasn't anything this year that captured my heart as much as last year's Nautilus but here are some of the other pieces I liked:


Top: Evolution -David Carstairs (photo Gordana Kezic)
Bottom: Time frame - Derek Roach (photo Mark Coddington)

ps. if you fancy yourself a budding sculptor, they're currently calling for submissions for the Bondi exhibition in October.

___________________


In other news: On Thursday night my brother came round and cooked me dinner! How cool is that? Well, I thought it was pretty cool - I can't remember if anyone's ever come over and cooked dinner for me in my own flat before. Certainly not in recent memory at least.

Ok so I had fed him the past 2 times he'd come over, between him finishing soccer training and going to work at nightfill - so it wasn't completely out of the blue. But it was still cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment