Thursday 3 April 2008

Life

I dropped honours today officially - no turning back. I feel kind of sad about it right now, but I know it was the right decision.


What am I going to do now?

That's a bit of a big question. I've applied to work at a couple of libraries (Nedlands and Bayswater) and I've got applications for others that I want to customise and send in. There are a couple of other jobs that I'm planning to apply for too.

I don't know if this is really what I want to do, though a library job would be really cool. I love books, I like helping people, and I'm good with technology - what more would there be to it? It seems like it'd be a pretty easy going job, which I think would be good.

When I went down to Mum's place over Easter, I really didn't want to come back to Perth. It was so nice and relaxing down there. I seem to be a bit low on resilience recently (possibly being quite sick yesterday is colouring my perceptions on this). I guess another option is to move back down there.

Financially, I've got probably about another fortnight before I'll need to find work urgently. If all else fails, I can see if the supermarket I used to work at will take me back - they're almost always looking for staff. This I know is not really what I want to do with my time.


Other thoughts:

Last weekend I did a Neuro-Training (previously Educating Alternatives Kinesiology) workshop called Financial Freedom (can't seem to find any infomation about this online although that could be due to the fact I found their website rather confusing to navigate). Basically it was about getting rid of unsupportive patterns or stresses you may have around finances. We looked at things like your financial threshold - how much money you are comfortable handling at one time, the stress around money symbols such as $, why you should never set your prices to end with a zero and lots more that I couldn't possibly explain in a couple of sentences. It was really fascinating and it made a lot of sense.

I've found myself wondering if I can do something with it (ie give consultations). This is part (a small part) of the kind of kinesiology my mum does - that people pay her $100/hr for. Of course she knows a lot more than just this one course, she's been studying these things for longer than I've been alive. I don't know if that's what I want to do though either. Guess I should do some practice and see if I actually like it, as just because I found the course fascinating doesn't mean I'd like working on people. So... any guinea pigs out there? No charge - but if you get good results you have to send me paying clients (if I decide I want paying clients, that is)


Other, other thoughts:

Recently I've become more aware and passionate about the need for green food after reading Barbara Kingsolver's book. Not green in the broccoli and spinach etc variety but 'green' in the sense of environmentally sustainable. I'd like to do something with this knowledge and this feeling that this is important. Very important.

I've been reading other books that also speak of the need of a global shift - a new paradigm. I agree with them and again I'd like to do something. I can recommend the books to people - I did that today - but what else? Are there actually jobs in these kind of fields? Maybe there are... I should do some research.


Other, other, other thoughts:

I am good at making written things sound better (mum always gets me to edit her marketing material or anything she is going to send out to her client database). I'm particularly good with advertising copy. I do kind of enjoy it too - depends a bit on what I'm working on. Is this a marketable skill? Actually that's a redundant question as I'm sure it is a marketable skill. What I really want to know is: What can I do with this? What sort of things are there out there that want this?


Other, other, other, other thoughts:

Just kidding =P
That's it for now.

1 comment:

  1. Sad to hear about honours. But it is really intense so it's not worth it if you're not quite sure.

    I'd check if the offer for Honours expires, though. Maybe you can consider it again next year as one of your options. Not your only option, just one of them in case life changes again. As it is prone to do...

    ReplyDelete